Eureka! I have found it! Again. It was hidden in a box of papers in the cellar. I have turned the house upside down for it. Every time I find it and manage to do a couple of pages, it disappears again. This time, I actually started 2 more books last week. The first one, I soon started to realise wasn’t going to work as it wasn’t descriptive enough and the narrative was too ordinary. The next one may or may not have turned out alright, but the pages were very thin for a hardback book.
So I have my old ‘Five Gates of Hell’ back now. Already, I can see where I’ve gone wrong and ways of rectifying it. One of the mistakes on the first couple of pages is that each page is a different colour and texture. Although the narrative or the ‘story’ follows on logically (for me), the pages come across as separate entities. Plus, a lot of information is being crammed into a relatively small space. To rectify this, each page must consist of 2, giving a bigger page to work on.
I have been through the first dozen or so pages, marking down the sentences I am going to use. Another mistake is to stick these sentences onto the page, before the background is done. I have been writing in a journal which sentences I want to print out and which page they appear on. I am using different fonts in various sizes. This is yet another reason for preparing the background first. When this is down, the text can be printed in a complimentary colour and appropriate size. Very happy for now…but let’s see if it lasts or the book disappears yet again.